Monday, September 24, 2012

Finally! I get it!



I found three allusions in this. Two are minor and may not be legitimate allusions but I found their participation in the hymn helpful to create images in my head.

Fetter
Ebenezer
Streams

"Let thy goodness like a fetter bind my wandering heart to thee." 
Meaning we are supposed to abandon our other desires, accept God's goodness
and bind our hearts to him and his glory. 

Ebenezer 
2 Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen. He named it Ebenezer,[a] saying, “Thus far the Lord has helped us.”
"Here I raise mine Ebenezer; hither by thy help I'm come;"
Raising the mental monument of gratefulness to his help and acknowledging that we have only reached the point of thanking him by his assistance. 

Streams 
" ...(S)treams of mercy never ceasing..." 
Like literal streams, God has mercy that abounds and, like a stream, won't ever stop. 

Finally! I get it!

3 comments:

  1. Great job Christy! Yeah it took me some time to figure it out too.. I was having some trouble then all of a sudden something clicked and it all made sense. Hallelujah! Haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found those allusions too Christy. It was pretty tricky. But i found it very interesting because this is one of my favorite songs. You did a great job though! I like how you organized it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Guys! It's kinda straightforward and I usually have it sounding classier nut I guess since I finally got it. It turns out that I was severely over complicating the assignment. I'm really glad that I dumbed it down :)

    ReplyDelete